Join me as I create multimedia projects while discovering a city I've dreamed about visiting all my life. See London through and alternate lens - mine.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Packing, The Nerves, and All the Rest

“I’ve got my things, I’m good to go… You met me at the terminal… Just one more plane ride and it’s done…” Jack’s Mannequin – “Bruised”

Hello, my name is Bree and I'm
an over packer
It’s just under 24 hours until I leave for London, which means this time tomorrow I will be boarded on a big plane getting ready to take off. It’s interesting that the nerves didn't hit me until about 9:30pm last night when they hit me like a freight train as I wandered through Target. So many emotions are going through me. I’m excited, anxious, and even a little sad that I’ll be leaving my family. As predicted, I have completely over packed. Somehow, this does not surprise me. I’m telling you, it’s the toiletries that are weighing my suitcase down.

I found out that I will essentially not be able to use my phone unless I’m on Wi-Fi. I can make emergency calls/texts (at an increased rate, of course), but I won’t be able to use any apps unless I’ve got Wi-Fi access. It appears this will be a bit of a technology detox for me. I fully admit that I am constantly on my phone. I check twitter multiple times a day, most of my emails are composed on my phone, and any chatting or texting is also done on it. At first, I was kind of P.O.ed about this, but as I’ve thought more about it, not being able to check on all of these “connections” whenever I feel the need (okay fine, the compulsion) will be a good thing. It will force me to look up from my phone and actually take in the world around me, and considering the sites I’ll be visiting, this is a VERY good thing. The only real piece of technology I will have to worry about is my camera, which is the lens I should be looking through, not deciding which Instagram filter is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment