Join me as I create multimedia projects while discovering a city I've dreamed about visiting all my life. See London through and alternate lens - mine.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Importance of Being Childlike

“You can be childlike without being childish. A child always wants to have fun. Ask yourself, ‘Am I having fun?’” Christopher Meloni


OH: "These doors smell like
chocolate!" They totally did.
I loved the quotes that were
displayed everywhere!
Sometimes we get caught up in the stress that comes with being an adult. I know for me, I will be graduating soon with a new batch of student loan debt that has me completely freaked out. There are other things on my mind, but I won’t get into them as that is really not the point of this post. The point is that it’s okay to let some of those worries go sometimes and enjoy a little childlike wonder. We visited the Roald Dahl Museum and Study Centre today in the quaint English village of Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire. This museum has two galleries and an interactive Story Centre. The museum advertises that it is aimed at children ages 6-12, and as I looked into the excited faces of the kids exploring, I couldn’t help but think how much fun my own kids would have had running through the exhibits and trying on the costumes. Even though the museum was aimed at children just a little bit younger than me, I still had a really great time. There is something timeless about Dahl’s stories, and that feeling really radiates throughout the museum. After exploring the galleries, I found myself in the Interactive Story Centre sitting at a small table piled with colored pencils, glue sticks, feathers, scraps of paper, and sequins. I grabbed a coloring sheet featuring the Glow-Worm from James and the Giant Peach and started coloring. I had so much fun sitting with Lauren, Melissa and Kristyn that I forgot about student loans, the London heat, and all the rest of it.


Melissa, Kristyn and Lauren letting their
inner child out.
















We are attending the stage production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this evening and I’m really excited. I am looking forward to seeing how one of my favorite stories translates to the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment