Join me as I create multimedia projects while discovering a city I've dreamed about visiting all my life. See London through and alternate lens - mine.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The One Where I Almost Pass Out at the British Library

Warning: Total librarian nerdiness ahead. Continue at your own risk.

This is Newton. He greets you in the
Courtyard of the British Library.
Hi, Newton!

So, I have a British Library Reader’s Pass. That is pretty frickin cool. I was able to pre-register online a few months ago in preparation for this trip, so when we got to the British Library today, I was able to receive my pass. With a Reader’s Pass, you can reserve books online to be brought to you in several reading rooms on a date of your choosing. The British Library also houses the Sir John Ritblat Gallery: Treasures of the British Library. In this room are over 200 items that nearly made my heart stop. Turning to the left as I entered the room, I was stopped dead in my tracks by an 11th century Beowulf manuscript. Yes, you read that right, 11th CENTURY. I was stunned speechless. Further down, I got a glimpse of Jane Austen’s writing desk, and Robert Browning’s “The Ring and the Book.” Browning is one of my favorites, and I love the story of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s romance. Her “Sonnets from the Portuguese” is my favorite collection of poetry. I thought I was literally going to pass out at this point, only to turn around and see original sketches by Leonardo da Vinci. On the other side of that case were works by Shakespeare. Insane. There is even a page from Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" on display. I remember being tasked with memorizing the prologue during my undergrad. There were other amazing items: a variety of bibles, including a Gutenberg Bible, as well as an early Wycliffite Bible (one of only two In. The. World.) and a later Wycliffite Bible. I was also overwhelmed by the music items in the collection. Items from Mozart (including his wedding contract), Schubert, and Beethoven were really amazing to see. Beethoven’s tuning fork was even on display. One of the most incredible things in the entire collection is the Magna Carta. The library also has a tower of books that if you didn’t know any better, you’d probably think “wow, that’s a lot of old books,” and yes, it’s a lot of old books… that make up Henry VIII’s personal library. My flat mate Lauren and I were told by a very nice and rather knowledgeable Treasure Room security guard that if you can name a title out of the collection, they’ll pull it and bring it the rare books reading room with a pair of white gloves and you can page through it. We are seriously thinking of taking up that challenge. 
 

I majored in English when I did my undergrad, specifically English literature. This room was like Christmas, New Year’s, Fourth of July, and every amazing birthday rolled into one. I was literally walking around with my hand to my chest because I was so overwhelmed. I could feel my heart pounding and my shallow, excited breaths. I am so glad I was able to take the time to explore that amazing collection. I wish so badly that I could’ve taken pictures, even though I understand why it’s not permitted.

I know this post has been super nerdy. Thank you for letting me get it out of my system. Another warning for you: I haven’t visited Stonehenge or the British Museum yet, so there is more nerdiness in store.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! So happy for you. I know the feeling. Glad you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete