Join me as I create multimedia projects while discovering a city I've dreamed about visiting all my life. See London through and alternate lens - mine.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Fear and Loathing in LIS

"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future." Audrey Hepburn


I’ve made a decision. I’m going to attempt to keep up this blog. I really enjoyed the process while I was in London. Some of the posts, especially a couple of the more personal ones, were a real source of cathartic release for me. I think that I will need that release as I move forward into the next few months and beyond. You see, I am a bonafide librarian now. Assignments complete, transfer credits received, grades in. All that is left is for me to participate in commencement this weekend, and even that is just a formality. So, how do I feel? I’m relieved, excited, anxious, and scared witless. I am now facing a job market that frankly, is a little scary and saturated. I am also in a situation where my options are limited. Every article and blog I’ve read lately is telling me the same thing: “If you want to get a library job, you have to move. Period.” Well, that just isn’t feasible for me, and that one track thought is making me angry and frustrated. I have a pretty deep-rooted life. Mortgage, two kids in school, and a husband with a really great (read: well-paying) job. There is no way that I would get hired for a position that rivals or exceeds his salary at this point in my professional career. That would be the only time a conversation of moving would even be on the table.

You might be wondering what I’m doing about this. Well, I am doing all I can. I am faithfully scouring the job listings at my local library system, community college, and four year university that are in driving distance. I’m keeping in contact with my professional network for their advice and guidance. I’m even considering positions outside of the profession. It’s amazing what kind of skill set I have acquired during graduate school. A degree that some may think is pigeon holing me, is really opening a door to different opportunities. Ultimately, my heart is in the library, but more than that, I am realizing that my heart is in information. My passion is connecting people and the information they seek. If I have learned anything, it’s that you can connect people and information in a variety of fields, not just in the library. Truth be told, I’m really hoping that things work out for me to stay at my current library. I love it there and I can see a future there.


For now it’s onward and upward. I’m going to keep my chin up, keep writing cover letters and keep my fingers crossed. The road is long and I’ve barely started. I just have to keep moving forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment